Cheap Road Trips
The do’s and don’t to frugal travel!
A family vacation doesn’t have to cost the earth. Cheap road trips are a great way to get out of the house and spend quality time with your family.
A fun family road trip can create memories in the minds of little ones to last a life time.
So the question begs, if you don’t have a big budget, how do you make this happen?
Below are a list of do’s and don’ts to help make your family getaway a possibility.
- If you can’t afford to spend money on accommodation consider a getaway to visit extended family, or perhaps a caravan park with sites for tents might be an option.
- A road trip doesn’t have to involve hundreds of miles and loads of gas, keep it simple, pick a location that is far enough to enjoy the getaway without spending a fortune getting to your destination.
- Pack snacks from home. Fill up the kids drink bottles and if you want to have a treat, pre-purchase it from the supermarket. Don’t buy on impulse from the gas station.
- Use resources from the internet, sites including our own offer parent’s loads of free fun. We have a range of printables from coloring pages, to sudoku and word puzzles. You could print a whole range of items and create your own coloring book.
- If you’re headed to a destination you’ve not been to before, call the tourist office in advance and have them send you some brochures. For older kids these will provide some interesting reading on the drive.
- Allow the kids to choose a few items each to take with them, this might include their favorite toy or blanket. If they are fortunate enough to own a portable DVD play do a swap with a friend, and borrow movies they’ve not seen before, or go to the local library for free rentals.
If you put into place some of the above suggestions you might very well be able to afford that getaway after all. Cheap road trips are definitely the first option in considering a frugal vacation for your family, small or large!
Return to Car Travel from Cheap Road Trips